Disclaimer

All opinions and views in this blog is entirely mine, and does not reflect any organization that I am affiliated with. And please exercise careful judgment when trading securities. Nothing in this blog should be construed as a recommendation to buy, hold or sell any securities. You do so at your own risk, and do not blame others if the outcome is not in your favour. In case you are wondering, I do not have any securities trading account with any brokerage firms or investment banks.

Friday, November 15, 2013

English are not for the elitists!

Friends,

A picture speaks a thousand word. Especially the image shown below. It speaks volume of an education system - and how this poor boy cried for not being able to join the so-called "elitist" to go to the school. At least, that is how I interpreted it.

Which brings me to the educational issue in Malaysia.

The issue of education is so close to my heart that though I am trying different things in life (read: changing careers and job-hopping), I still follow closely the educational issue as it is very dear in my heart.

Last year (2012), the government abolished the PPSMI policy - that of teaching maths and science in English.

In replacement of the now-defunct policy, introduced the MBMBI -- a rather mouthful acronym, but suffice to say at this juncture that everything in schools will be taught in Bahasa Melayu while at the same time, trying to strengthen English language proficiency for school-going students in Malaysia.

By switching the language (medium of instruction policy) from English to Bahasa, it is like saying that English is only for the so-called "elitists", while the non-elitists are only worthy of learning  and educated in Bahasa Malaysia ("Bahasa").

I am not saying that it is a bad thing, but it seems to me that acquiring knowledge via the English language seems to be exclusive only to the elitist.

While my argument is subject to further debate and may be somewhat hypothetically incorrect to some; however, let me pause arguing this argument for a short while and bring you an example of what happened in the  yester-years ago, to back my claim.

In the past (say in the 1970s), a number of Malaysian students were sent away to be educated in Britain - of course everything taught there was in the English language. And many notary individuals and public figures were educated in institutions where the medium of instruction is only in English, be it locally in Malaysia or abroad.

Fast forward to now, I dont think that those students sent abroad were meant to have their education taught in English, but more of learning new technology from other countries.

That said, I feel that English should be for all. It should not be for the elitists and the rich. And it should not be exclusive to those going abroad for their studies.

Take for example, students in the national schools (government-funded, where the fee is affordable); the medium of instruction used is mainly in Bahasa.

And compare to those private schools - where the fees are exorbitantly high - the students enrolled there are taught in English.

The point that I am to drive here in my piece is that English should not be for the elitists, but inclusive and for all. No child should be left behind in getting equal opportunity of being educated in English.

Fight all you like about this language policy thing, but the fact of the matter remains - as depicted and clearly palpable in the image drawn below: where the elitists are going to the school, all jolly and merrily having conversation in English; while the ordinary child is crying behind for being left out in an opportunity to learn in English -- so that he can have a better future.

And with this, I leave it to you all to ponder.

--
Disclaimer: I do not own the picture, and I found it in my Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment