Disclaimer

All opinions and views in this blog is entirely mine, and does not reflect any organization that I am affiliated with. And please exercise careful judgment when trading securities. Nothing in this blog should be construed as a recommendation to buy, hold or sell any securities. You do so at your own risk, and do not blame others if the outcome is not in your favour. In case you are wondering, I do not have any securities trading account with any brokerage firms or investment banks.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Night With Two Leng Chai-s

Hello Peeps,

Tonight I want to talk about my two former students who are now considered friends.

I taught these two students when I was teaching at UCSI University, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur.

Their names are Ee Kai Shen (to my right) and Tan Ewe Gin (to my left). They were my former students: they were hardworking students with extremely polite attitude and manners, which is a reflective of the good upbringing by their parents.

And they are Chinese students. Oh what the heck: Chinese, Malay, Indians.

And I for once do not have any problems to mingle around with persons of different race, background and religion; for they too are human beings created by the Supreme Being.

Anyway, I went out with them at Leisure Mall, Cheras; and they treated me some nice Subway sandwich. What a nice lad, they are!

After munching the yummy Subway sandwich, we talked about many things: education and surprisingly, politics.

Ee Kai Shen talked about his experiences being an exchange student at a university in Illinois, United States of America: he talked about how nice the university campus is, how friendly the lecturers are and how interesting the courses offered there.

Kai Shen is a very bright and smart student. And I am sure that the student exchange experience was a meaningful event for him.

On the other hand, Ewe Gin talked about the challenges faced in studying some courses at UCSI University. Ewe Gin is a very hardworking student: he will endeavour and strive hard to understand the subject well. Of course, some courses can be tough, but I have every reason to believe that with his attitude and hard efforts will definitely be fruitful.

We also talked about how interesting engineering is, and how different UCSI University is, after I left in August 2010. According to them, the university is doing fine and many changes had taken place. And that too include the fact that many of my colleagues have also resigned: I guess they are finding a new place to settle. Maybe the grass is greener in other places.

Anyway, we also talked about political issues, particularly about the recent general elections held on May 5th, 2013. We also talked about this sensitive issues that are now hitting Malaysia: racism.

Of being a Malay. Of being a Chinese. Of being labeled "Pendatang". Of being racially divided. And many other sensitive issues which I am sure many Malays will find it hard to digest and understand.

I have to be honest: that I hate being racist, and that I am a liberal Malay. I told them clearly that I like mixing with people of other races; and that I befriend anyone - Asian, Americans, transexuals, lesbians, punks, beggars etc.

I have no qualms sitting in a Chinese restaurant sipping some nice coffee made by a cheerful uncle. I may not eat the foods there, such as "Bak Kut Teh"; but I don't mind being there and seeing them indulge their foods.

Despite the sensitive issues which were the topics of our discussion; I enjoyed going out with them, discussing many things. It was a fun night, with so many things shared: experiences, ideologies, views and perspectives.

I am looking forward to spending quality time with them again, in the future.

I believe that we Malays, should have more friends of other races; so that our we can broaden our mind, expand our horizons and discover more interesting things.

We are, after all Malaysians; and now is a crucial time to embrace differences and respect one another. For we are Malaysians; and we are truly Asians. And we are afer all, 1-Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment